Wednesday, April 10, 2013

One Year Ago Today

Today marks that one year anniversary of the day we lost dad. It's hard for me to believe it's been a year but in some ways it seems even longer than that. I talked with mom today and she shared that my sister Katy was doing what dad would have loved...thanking everyone who helped her get through the year. I feel the need to do the same thing. My friend, Cindy Unger, who knows about loss always talks about seeing God in the people you are given to get through the hard times in your life. I have been blessed with so many of you who have walked with me through some sad days.... Thank you to my mom, my editor in chief, and my rock. It's a rare night that she doesn't read and proofread the blog post. We can get through anything together,right mom? Thanks to my sisters...for phone calls, stories, and our collective memory of dad. I think he would be proud of all three of us in different ways. Thanks to wonderful friends..especially my dear friends Jane, Peggy and Cindy who have been down this road of grief and loss and have shared their wisdom so generously. Thanks to my faithful blog readers for having patience with my musings and silly stories. It sure helped me to write about the life my dad led. When I first started this blog project I thought I would try to write one story a day for a year. I was sure I would run out of stories somewhere along the line but people kept stopping me to tell me what my dad meant to them. Little things kept popping up that reminded me of dad so I was able to keep writing. Although today marks one year I have decided that I'll keep writing the blog. Not every day...but I'll post stories as they come up. There's no doubt that there are more than 365 stories about my wonderful dad. If you have a story you'd be willing to share, please send it to me. I am always surprised at how many people my dad impacted with his kindness and generosity.

1 comment:

RoseCovered Glasses said...

You have done well Heather. Your writing has been a great tribute to a man we all loved and admired.
It has been a pleasure to read your work.