Thursday, July 5, 2012

Tackling the Tackle Table

Last night we spent a bit of the night trying to sort and organize dad's fishing tackle. I know most people keep this contained to a box but my dad had an entire table dedicated to things that would help him slay the biggest walleye. As I tried to differentiate between the twenty kinds of line and dozens of sinkers I felt like dad was right there beside me saying, "Don't mess this up now, Heather, there is an art to this." One of my dad's favorite things to do on a night when he couldn't fish was make his own tackle. He put these creations on playing cards, making a slot in each corner so that everything stayed in it's place and untangled. Last night I found dozens of these cards with his homemade tackle just ready to be used. It will be our mission to use this tackle and do some fishing that dad would be proud of! Maybe we'll even catch a fish that is worthy of joining his two on the wall.

1 comment:

RoseCovered Glasses said...

Yes indeed - the tackle guy. Even though his table had a great many products of his own design, much of the "Art" in your father's approach to fishing the Walleye was in its simplicity. He knew natural bait presentation, not only with tackle, but with location, time of day and bottom terrain better than anyone.