Sunday, October 14, 2012

Lutefisk Supper

It's almost time for the annual Lutefisk Supper in the Goodridge Lutheran parish. After dad passed away, Pastor Bob sent us a letter thanking dad for his service to the congregation. Bob wrote about how he had an image in his mind of dad smoking a cigarette and washing out the lutefisk kettles each year. Today mom said they sang "You have come down to the lakeshore" one of the songs from dad's funeral to prepare for the lutefisk supper. I know some other stoic Lutheran will take dad's place washing out those kettles but his spirit of service will remain. Here's the last stanza of that hymn that makes me think of dad: Sweet Lord, you have looked into my eyes, Kindly smiling, you've called out my name. On the sand I've abandoned my small boat; Now with you, I will seek other seas.

No comments: