Thursday, June 21, 2012

Cards anyone?

I just read a facebook post about my friend playing lots of games of cards up at the lake cabin and it reminded me of one of my fondest childhood memories, playing whist. My grandpa Kenny and grandma Eleanor were big fans of whist and so when they came to visit we all got to play. When I got old enough I was allowed to play too. My dad was a pretty conservative card player so you knew when he granded he was going to clean house. My grandma Eleanor, on the other hand, hated to play low so would grand with just one face card in her hand. The best part about these card games was the teasing that went back and forth across the table. Grandpa Kenny would say he had a "hand like a foot" and then he'd chide grandma for what he called "laying in the weeds" and saving all her face cards. We'd spend all evening, playing cards, listening to jokes, and enjoying one another's company. Sometimes it's the small things you miss the most.

No comments: