Monday, June 4, 2012

Shit on a Shingle

Today we took a friend of mine out for dinner as a retirement celebration. As we waited for our food the talk turned to our favorite recipes. Mine is a favorite recipe that my dad liked to make;chipped beef on toast. On our way home he'd say, " Should we have a little shit on a shingle tonight, Heather?" If I said yes we'd stop at Swede's to get the best chipped beef. Then he'd make white gravy and we'd serve it on toast. I thought it was a delicacy but the best part was that I got to swear when someone asked what we had for dinner.

I'm picking up some chipped beef tomorrow,dad. I've got to indoctrinate the Willman kids.

1 comment:

RoseCovered Glasses said...

And old term from his Navy days and one from my Army experience as well. Your piece does admirable justice to the staple.