Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Celebration Day

Today's story takes me back to when I was a little girl. As some of you know my dad was a reformed alcholic and he went through treatment when I was in second grade.

I can remember those days as clearly as if they were yesterday. Mom and I would make the drive over to Crookston to Glenmore and I'd get a pit in my stomach about halfway there. I participated in the family sessions and as a little girl they were hard for me because I only wanted to talk about what I loved about my daddy. The day I looked forward to most was Friday, celebration day. On this day we got to talk about all of the things that we loved about the person going through treatment. I remember working for hours on my list. Some of my items were as follows: he is lucky, he is a good barbeque griller, he is a good hunter, he is a good fisherman, he is a good tickler. I think the total count was 138 items. I know that sobriety was a hard choice for my dad but he chose ,us, his family.

1 comment:

AmyO said...

Here I am...crying again! Thanks Heather, for the honest and touching post.