Thursday, May 17, 2012

Sweet Corn for Sale

It's planting time and this makes me think of dad and our big money-making scheme when we were young. Dad would plant an acre of sweet corn and we'd be the pickers. I remember many a summer morning where I'd be awakened with, "They need 80 dozen at Erl's. They day's a wasting girls."

Myndy and I would join dad in the rows of sweet corn with our burlap sacks and pick corn. We had to stay away from the ones with worms and also the ones with smut ( it's not what it sounds like). Once we had all of our corn picked we'd haul it to town to Erl's market and collect our earnings. Everything went in a jar for our big summer trip to Winnipeg. We'd stay at the Windsor Park Inn and slide down the waterslide all weekend.

I think my sisters and I all developed a great work ethic because of things like this. Now...where can I plant an acre of sweet corn in Rochester?

1 comment:

RoseCovered Glasses said...

Great posting, Heather,

By the way, here's a link to the Rochester City Garden Plots to answer your concluding question:

http://www.rochestermn.gov/departments/park/garden_plots/index.asp