Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Handyman

Today I had a minute to look around at my kitchen as I was cleaning up. In every nook and cranny there was a reminder of my dad and his penchant for a "project". I looked above our stove and thought of the day he decided to tile the backsplash. He and mom were in town for the weekend and Steve casually mentioned that he wanted to put some tile up. It was not five minutes later that he and dad were headed to Menards for tile , grout and everything needed to do that project. This was a little bit of a challenge for Steve who grew up thinking about the project for a year or two, then shopping for supplies and finally 5-10 years later embarking on the project.
Next, I opened my lazy susan cupboard and saw the ingenious way dad figured out how to fix the hinge. He kept asking, " So, how much do you think I saved you on that job?"

We learned that it was better to make a list of projects we wanted help with because if there was no list dad would find a project anyway. It makes me happy to think of all the ways my dad is still with me. I'll think of him every time I open that lazy susan or wipe down that backsplash.

No comments: