Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Fresh Walleye

One of my dad's favorite things to do was to catch a bunch of walleye and then give it away to friends and neighbors. Mom and dad would stop by Larry and Norma's, Effie's, and anyone on the way from the house to the cabin. When the fish supply was plentiful he'd plan a fish fry and stir up his original batter and invite the neighbors at the lake. I think almost everyone on Upper Bottle had at one time or another sampled dad's fish. He'd also try to give the fish away as we headed for home. "Did you guys bring a cooler? Need some more fish in Rochester? Make sure you get some for Grandma GG and Butch and Wendy."

Dad's generosity was boundless. It may have also had something to do with the fact that he wanted to go out and fish some more and had to get rid of some fillets in order to do so. Either way many people benefited from dad's angling.

2 comments:

RoseCovered Glasses said...

I have been the recipient of many trips with Myles and fish packages as well.

I grew up with the guy fishing,but each trip with him was an advance in my education on the art form of Walleye catching and cooking!

Jordan Journal said...

My dad was the same and he had many friends who suffered the same addiction. We had fish at least 2 times a week all year round. I love those guys!! Great blog Heather!