Friday, May 18, 2012

Homegrown Carnival

It is school carnival season. Steve worked the carnival wheel at Harriet Bishop( Ellie's school) and taunted grade schoolers into throwing away their money on a chance at a rubber ducky. I spent the evening at the Lollipop wheel at Elton Hills ( Anna's school) crossing my fingers that kids would find the sucker with the lucky black dot. This all got me thinking about the homegrown carnival that dad created for one of my birthday parties. The thing I remember best was the fishpond which was set up downstairs. Dad stood behind a curtain and put on prize after prize on the fishing pole. Then he'd tug hard and the kids would claim their prize. He also created a scavenger hunt and the kids had to find where we got our mail. My city friends had a hard time finding the mailbox down the road.

I always had the best birthday parties in my class thanks to my parents.

No comments: